This is because, originally, this shop was built to serve as the Off-licence premises.Gradually, retail stores and shops started to fill the gaps between these inns to take advantage of the passing trade brought by this important route into and out of the city.In Anglo-Saxon the word Han denoted a boundary stone.
The Fox has been named West Middlesex Pub of the Year in 2005, 2007, 20.
Built in 1848 it is a largely unspoiled and original mid-Victorian pub.
This gives some support to the suggestion that Han came from the Saxon han for cockerel. Han-créd or cock-crow meant the border between night and day, and is neither one nor the other. The Uxbridge Road (then known as the Oxford Road) was turnpiked between Uxbridge and Tyburn in 1714.
The revenue from tolls enabled an all-weather metaled road surface of compacted gravel to be laid down.
At the back of the pub, some of the original stable building can be seen, dating to about 1730.
Unfortunately, today the profusion of street furniture detracts somewhat from the original impact that these rich mid-browns and mid-cream glazed tiles gave the building.This constant movement of people along the road, brought about the establishment of coaching inns along the road as it crossed the River Brent and passed through the parish of Hanwell.In these inns, travellers could stable their horses, place their carts or goods in safe storage and secure board and lodgings for themselves overnight.The next pub occupies the site of what was probably the very first inn to be established on the Oxford Road as it ran through Hanwell; it is known today as the Kings Arms. It was original called the "Spencer Arms"after Edward Spencer, who was Lord of the Manor of Boston during the Civil War.In the 18th century, the Manor Courts hearings were transferred here from Greenford, then later transferred to the Viaduct Inn.The original borders of the parish stretched from the bend of the River Brent at Greenford and followed the river down to the River Thames.